An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
Fairlight is situated five miles from the ancient towns of Rye, Hastings and Battle. It has the area known as "The Firehills" which forms part of Hastings Country Park with 500 acres of cliff walks, unspoiled wooded countryside and magnificent coastal views. Here there is free parking for walkers and bird watchers, with a tearoom and picnic area.
The parish church, built in 1845, has an 82 ft tower which is open to visitors during the summer.
The village is mentioned in records of 1220 as Farlegh. William the Conquerer gave Fairlight Manor, which is now Stonelynk Farm, to a French Countess.
In the days of smuggling, contraband goods were landed at Fairlight and brought inland by a tunnel. Stream House was used by smugglers which, in those days, was three cottages known as Stream Houses.
At the turn of the century a local gun battery practised firing at Fairlight which probably gave rise to the name "The Firehills" and nearby Battery Hill.